Career Services

Career Services2019-02-04T20:33:09+00:00


We connect you to the Canadian work force.

Our co-op specialists support your job search, connect you with employers, and stay engaged with you throughout your co-op work placement. Our team will help you learn the skills to become work-ready and provide you with the following services:

Off-Campus Work Permit

International students enrolled in full-time programs of 26 weeks or longer are eligible to work off-campus for up to 20 hours per week as part of their studies. Students enrolled in co-op programs can work full-time during the co-op portion of their programs.

Are you ready for your future job in Canada?

Frequently Asked Questions

Some of our Best Employers

The Co-op department announces the job opportunities to all students by email. We provide all of the information about available jobs to ensure students are aware of all details regarding the job for the future co-op term. After reviewing the job postings, students can decide if they would like to apply to any available positions.

Students are allowed to look for their own placements if they wish, however, ILAC Practicum Department must approve the job found before students start working. The positions must be related to program learning outcomes.

During the study component of the program, international students are allowed to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week.

During the co-op work placement, international students are allowed to work full time.

Students who have completed their hours before the end of the program are allowed to keep working on a part-time basis (20 hours/week) until their graduation date.
The co-op term is a work experience that is an essential part of your program of study offered by ILAC IC. The work portion of the program cannot count more than 50% of the total program of study.
Before starting your co-op term, you will need to complete the academic portion of the program, have a valid Co-Op Work Permit and a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You can go to a Service Canada Center with the required documents in order to apply for yours. For more information, you may click on the following this link.

Yes, during the Co-Op meetings we will discuss topics, such as values and attitudes at the workplace, building careers and resume, job research skills, among other topics. We also offer free one-on-one resume clinics for all ILAC IC students.
Yes, our co-op team will prepare you for interviews with one-on-one mock interviews.
No. The programs offered by ILAC IC require you to complete the academic portion of your program before entering in the co-op term.
The co-op is usually a paid position; however, you may find an unpaid position in Ontario. The salary/wage will depend on the province, company and type of work you will do. Currently, the minimum wage in Ontario is $14/hour and $12.65/hour in Vancouver. This information is accurate as of September 2018.
The co-op fee is already included in the diploma programs with co-op. If you are enrolled in a program without co-op and decide to transfer to the co-op version, additional fees may apply. You will need to receive a co-op supporting letter to apply for your permits.

Sign up for our newsletter to learn more

Translate »
× WhatsApp